One Great Hour of Sharing Sunday Offering is March 14
One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS) is one of the six churchwide Special Sundays with offerings of The United Methodist Church. OGHS enables the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) to live out its mission to alleviate human suffering.
UMCOR is humanitarian arm of The United Methodist Church. OGHS gifts underwrite UMCOR’s “costs of doing business,” meaning that every penny of every gift you make to a specific UMCOR project will be spent on that project—not on office administrative costs. This enables UMCOR to respond to natural or human made disasters.
Through OGHS, we share the goodness of life with those who hurt:
• In Haiti, as they begin to build back buildings and lives after January’s earthquake;
• On the Gulf Coast of the United States, where Hurricane Katrina and other storms devastated families from Florida to Texas;
• In Sudan, where hardworking families persist despite war and displacement;
• In Sierra Leone, where we’re fighting the spread of malaria; and
• In Georgia, Eastern Europe, where a cold winter tests endurance.
The OGHS offering makes ministries available in the United State and across the globe. In 81 countries in all, you assure the United Methodist Church is in the lead to alleviate suffering through OGHS.
Recent offerings include: 2008, $3,212,946; 2007, $3,372,268; 2006, and $3,597,350 in 2006. UMCOR receives no World Service funds or any other apportionments.