Beyers elected trustee of Epworth Old Rectory

9/2/2011

      SPECIAL TO THE ADVOCATE
      Want to get rid of your preacher? Burn down the parsonage! So was the thinking of the vestry of St. Andrew’s (Anglican) Church in Epworth, England, in 1709 when The Reverend Samuel Wesley was rector. Fortunately for us, Samuel, Susannah and all 10 of the Wesley children, including 1-year-old Charles and 5-year-old John (the “brand plucked from the burning”), were rescued.
     Apparently reconciliation was reached between pastor and parish, a new rectory was constructed and Samuel remained rector until his death in 1735.
        The rectory was purchased by the World Methodist Council from the Church of England in 1954 and opened as a world heritage museum in 1957. Now, for the first time in its storied history, the Epworth Old Rectory is undergoing an historical restoration to the Queen Anne period of 1716, when Samuel and Susannah Wesley (mostly Susannah) were raising their remarkable children.
        At the 2011 meeting of the World Methodist Council in Durban, South Africa, John Beyers, senior minister of Conyers First United Methodist Church, was elected and appointed an international trustee representing the whole of the World Methodist family. He is charged with raising awareness of the Wesley’s treasured home, developing financial support and overseeing the $2.65-million restoration project.
           Beyers, who has a deep passion for Wesleyan history and theology and world evangelism, teaches in the North Georgia Conference License to Preach School and at Leadership UMC.
 
Log on to www.epwortholdrectory.org.uk, learn more about the Epworth Old Rectory and it restoration and consider becoming a financial friend.


comments powered by Disqus