Church Spotlight: Bremen First UMC
Address: 321 Hamilton Avenue, Bremen, GA 30110
Mission statement: Open Doors. Open Hearts. Open Minds.
Senior Pastor: Wayne Monroe (10th year)
Sunday services: 9 a.m. contemporary service in Branham Hall. 10 a.m. Sunday school. 11 a.m. traditional service in sanctuary. 6ONE3 Youth gather for worship at 5:13 p.m., service begins at 6:13 in Youth Hall. 6 p.m. evening service in chapel.
Radio ministry: Men’s Bible Class Sunday School is aired on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. on WGMI-AM1440
History: In 2012, Bremen UMC will celebrate 131 years of service. The first church was located in the western section of town. Although the earliest Methodist church in Bremen dates back to 1881 as part of the Buchanan Circuit, by 1883, the year the town of Bremen was incorporated, the Bremen Church was listed in the conference journal as the Bremen Mission.
As Bremen’s boundaries spread eastward, services were held in the old train depot until a new building was constructed in 1893. That building was destroyed in 1899 by a windstorm. By 1900, the minister began construction on a new building on property at the corner of Gordon and Lee streets. When the pastor began the construction alone, the congregation came out in droves and joined him in this labor of love.
Materials from the old building were salvaged and dragged by mule to the new location. By 1911, the Bremen Church had grown and became part of the Rome District. In 1938, Mr. G. E. Bell gave land to the church, and the present church buildings are the result of several special building and remodeling programs.