Church spotlight: Ebenezer UMC - Conyers
District: Atlanta Decatur Oxford
Address: 2533 Stanton Road SE, Conyers, GA 30094
Mission statement: Caring people sharing God’s love
Pastor: Rev. Mike Nickolich
Sunday services: 8 a.m., 9 a.m., 11:11 a.m.
Local Outreach Ministries: We are currently working with Sims Elementary and Edwards Middle schools to provide their students with coats and pants. We have several members working in the mentoring program at Sims. The church was chosen by the Methodist Children’s Home as an off-campus site for Jesse’s House during summer.
We are partnering with BOLD Ministries to be the hub for a state program to feed children who are on free and reduced lunches during the school year. Last fall, our youth went to Manchester, Ga., to help clean up tornado devastation. Internationally, our youth have been to Mexico and Guatemala. We have also sent two teams of youth and adults to Romania to work with gypsy orphans.
History: The oldest church in Rockdale County, Ebenezer had its beginnings in camp meetings, the first of which was documented in 1818 on the current property. After 10 years of arbor-type camp meetings, a log meeting house was raised and a church organized in 1828. The trustees purchased the property in 1831 for $2.
As part of the Yellow River Circuit, Ebenezer shared its minister with 27 other churches. “Preaching” services were held on whatever day the minister arrived as he rode from church to church. When the minister wasn’t there, members met for Sunday classes.
Our chapel was built in 1873 and featured two entrance doors and center rail separating the men and boys from the women and girls. The chapel has had additions and renovations but is still the same structure built in 1873. In 1977, a resident pastor was hired and in 1982, Ebenezer became a full-time church. In 1986, the congregation celebrated the completion of an Educational Building/Fellowship Hall.
Today that building is used for our youth program and is called the Student Warehouse. Our present sanctuary was completed in 1990 and in 2000, an educational building with 20 classrooms and an activities center, providing a commercial kitchen and gymnasium, were dedicated. After 194 years, the church has changed in numbers, faces, programs and ministries. What will stay constant, however, is the spirit that truly defines Ebenezer United Methodist Church - “Caring People Sharing God’s Love.”