Purpose: To provide excellent music for worship services through the piano.
Scope: The position of pianist/accompanist is a part-time paid position, requiring the musician’s presence at Sunday morning worship services, any other service where music is needed, and all called rehearsals.
Job Expectations Applicant Will Need To:
• Prepare and perform all music for rehearsals and services (including appropriate: preludes, offertories, anthems, communion music, postludes, etc.)
• Play for chancel choir and ensemble rehearsals each week (includes parts) 2 hours per week
• Play for adult choir special rehearsals and performances as needed (including, but not limited to choir concerts, cantatas and/or musicals)
• Play for Sunday morning services and chancel choir rehearsal (rehearsal is 15 minutes before the 11:00 service begins)
• Rehearse and play for solos and small ensembles as needed
• Be available for all special services (including, but not limited to all Holy Days - Ash Wednesday, Holy Week services, Easter, Christmas Eve) unless otherwise instructed by the Director of Worship Arts or the pastor
• Weddings and funerals are not included in this job description and are left to the discretion of the pianist.
Skill Expectations Applicant Must Be:
• Able to sight read and play hymns from the UMC hymnal for the congregation.
• Able to accompany choir anthems of varying difficulty levels.
• Able to play SATB parts for rehearsal, 1-4 at a time.
• Able to play quality prelude, offertory, and postlude for worship service.
• Congregational hymn playing experience
• Choral and solo accompanying experience
• Working in a Liturgical setting a plus, but not necessary
• A cheerful, “people-person” demeanor
• A team player
Other information: Part time (8-10 hours per week including individual music preparation time.) All rehearsals and services are included in the salary. Salary is commensurate based on experience and skill level.
Additional skill desired but not required: Organ experience.
Leave: 10 days of leave per calendar year which includes a maximum of two Sundays.
DISCLAIMER The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Contact: Paula Gibson
Address: 1087 Washington St PO Box 365 Clarkesville GA 30523
Email: Click to email