Being United Methodist means being part of a world-wide connection of more than 12 million members. There is a United Methodist church in nearly every county in the United States, and across Africa, Asia, and Europe—all with the same mission: to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
A member of a local church here in North Georgia recently shared 10 reasons their congregation will stay United Methodist. We've adapted their list and share it with you:
1. We are a United Methodist congregation. From our familiar hymns and worship music, to the Apostles Creed, to our open communion table, when you walk in our doors you know what to expect.
2. We hold dear the vows we took at the altar of this United Methodist church when we became members. We committed to faithfully participate in the life and ministries of this church through our prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness—a commitment made by all United Methodists.
3. We are committed disciples of Jesus Christ and follow the unchanging doctrines of our faith.
4. We are connected to something bigger than ourselves through a worldwide ministry.
5. We have an outstanding, ministry-minded, spirit-filled United Methodist pastor (or pastors) appointed to our church.
6. We are proud of our heritage and those who came before us.
7. We are a place where all can feel invited and welcome.
8. We support and encourage women in ministry.
9. We can agree on the important things yet disagree on other issues. We aren’t called to be of one mind on all matters.
10. Grace flourishes here!
What would you add to this list? Email email@example.com!