History Portrayed in Glass: Wesley Memorial Windows Available
The Wesley Memorial Windows are pictured at Simpsonwood Retreat Center. They are currently being professionally stored.
The North Georgia Conference has an art treasure to share: eleven historic stained glass windows.
The Conference's ten Wesley Memorial Windows and one Rose Window were made in England and originally installed in 1910 in the Wesley Memorial Church which stood at Auburn Avenue and Ivy Street in downtown Atlanta.
The church was home at the time to the Annual Conference offices. The windows were moved in 1967 to a new United Methodist Center on Ralph McGill Boulevard in Atlanta and again moved to the United Methodist Center at Simpsonwood Conference and Retreat Center.
With the sale of Simpsonwood in 2016, the windows were professional removed and stored.
Upon great consideration, the North Georgia Conference is offering these windows for use by a United Methodist Church or United Methodist agency in the denomination that is undergoing a building project that would appropriately accommodate the windows.
It is a requirement that the 11 windows remain as a set.
The majority of the windows tell the story of Methodism including images of the Rectory at Epworth, John Wesley in Georgia, the ordination of Thomas Coke, the Christmas Conference in 1784, and Charles Wesley with pen in hand. Two windows tell stories from Christian history ranging from Saul on the road to Damascus, Martin Luther nailing his Ninety-Five Theses to the door, and John Wycliffe translating the bible.
The windows measure 4 feet by 17 feet each and the rose window is 4 feet in diameter. Each of the 10 tall windows includes a small top and bottom panel and a large upper, center and lower panel.
It is recommended that the windows be fully restored prior to any future reinstallation.
Interested United Methodist churches and United Methodist organizations may contact Keith Cox, Conference Treasurer and Director of Administrative Services, at email@example.com